Monday, October 01, 2007

...in which he gets a dog.

Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to thank Grandma Lauree and Tom (that's Tom Casavant for the outsiders) for contacting me. I know I've been neglectful and I hope to change that here. This is actually an old blog that I started a few years back and now I've refurbished it to tell everyone about Taiwan. I'm going to post regularly about what's going on and I'll add in stories here and there to fill you guys in on some of the odd things that have happened thus far.

Right now I'm doing very well. I have a job teaching English and I split my time between very young students (3-4 years old) and slightly older students (8-14 years old). The weather right now is fairly warm, but the past few weeks have been cooler and more pleasant than most of the summer. I live in a nicely sized apartment, but it isn't expensive. That's because I live in a small town in the center of the island. In the big cities in the East, a place like this would go for nearly ten times as much as it does here. The town I'm in is called Ming Jian. It's fairly small and there's a lot of agriculture around. Lots of tea fields, banana groves, and some more exotic produce like dragon fruit and lychee fruit. The area is pretty, the mountains are just off in the distance. I take scooter rides through amazing scenery on the weekends.

I just adopted a dog yesterday, her name is bagels. She looks like a golden retriever/lab mix. She loves to play and she seems to like me nearly as much as I like her. Her behavior is surprisingly disciplined. She hasn't gone in the house, always waiting until we walk outside. She hasn't chewed anything or bothered the neighbors by barking. They say she's even scooter trained, but I haven't tried taking her for a ride yet. I'm worried she'll get bored and restless while I'm away at work, so I'll welcome advice on how to keep her entertained. We didn't get home until ten last night. I gave her a bath and she slept by my bedside.

Afternoon classes start in just a few minutes, so I have to be on my way. Thanks for checking in on me-

-Jacob


3 Comments:

Blogger hannah said...

Bagels? Amazing name! She's a cutie. You might consider getting a cat or another animal so they can entertain each other - it's the same theory i used when hosting pre-frosh at Wash U. Animals/high schoolers in pairs are much easier to tend.

i'm glad to hear from you and that all is well. i'm also glad to see the refurbished blogspot... seems you've done the same thing i did! Here's to insights and entertaining stories in the future.

October 1, 2007 at 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! adopt a cat! we have some fosters looking for homes. :)

http://www.taichungpaws.org

Hmmm... that's an interesting name. Does she like to eat bagels?

It's good to see and hear you have a nice new happy family!

October 2, 2007 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger A Dragon Abroad said...

she looks great! I would love to come and visit soon!

Caroline

October 13, 2007 at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home