Thursday, August 13, 2009

Search for Civility - Against Public Option

A wrote a diary titled Search for Civility about the deplorable state of our social discourse, especially surrounding healthcare reform. I'm advocating that we reject calls to fight fire with fire at townhall meetings. Instead we should be trying to bring dissenters back into a responsible dialogue built upon mutual respect. If we let the discussion devolve into a shouting match, a raw political battle without reasoned debate, we'll cause much greater damage than we seek to gain with HCR. "He who troubleth his own house, shall inherit the wind." I've suggested two practical courses of action. First, we need to call for better leadership from officials and other important people in our communities. Second, we need to reach out with polite manners and open minds to our friends and family to open this discussion. Hopefully this might lead to some social flexibility. At least, it should help us better understand one another.

In this diary I want to give an update on what I've done. Surprisingly, it has made me seriously question if I am in favor of a public option.

On the first issue, I've written to my Congressman and Senators. I explained that I was very disappointed in the lack of responsible leadership. I challenged them to step up and shoulder some responsibility for bring the healthcare discussion back down to Earth. I have no idea if anyone in their offices will even read over my concerns, but it seemed like a good start. Maybe I'll make phone calls next.

On the second issue, reaching out to friends and family, I've had more success. It has made me give some serious thought to whether or not I support a strong public option.

Someone I love very much has been in the hospital for more than a month. She has had a very complicated pregnancy and today I talked with her about the care she's received and whether she supports reform.

Without going into too much detail, I can explain that this woman is due to deliver twins at the end of October. Before the end of the first trimester, problems came to light. She's had consultations with experts in three different cities, prenatal surgery, a month living in the hospital and countless tests every week, several each day.

While it's very unfortunate that the pregnancy didn't go smoothly, there's little question in her mind or in mine that she has received the best care available. Moreover, I asked her if her insurance company has given her any trouble and she explained she was very happy with them. They've paid for all the hospital time, the consultations, the surgery, everything but the plane tickets. There have been no delays, no hassles. She has been able to devote her concern to her own care, not to her insurance policy's fine print.

We also talked about HCR and a public option. Her concern, and now mine as well, is that a public option might financially out compete the private insurance she has now. We both know that the public option is just that, an option. She wouldn't be forced to switch over to it. But we can both imagine the situation where the government establishes a public option that becomes more and more attractive to businesses. There may come a day five, ten, fifteen years from now when a company offering private insurance can't compete with those whose employees rely on the public option.

She's concerned that if, because of this turn of events, she were compelled to switch to the public option, she might not be guaranteed such a high standard of care. It's not that she is certain it would be worse. Rather, right now she has a great deal of confidence in her private insurance, why should she have similar confidence in a public option plan?

Now I share her concerns. My place in life should make me strongly favor a public option, but I still find my support wavering in the face of this woman's story and my concern for her.

Do we misunderstand the proposed public option?

Are our concerns about the future and private insurance unrealistic?

What do you guys think?

UPDATE: In the comments Clem Yeobright gave a really good link from the Kaiser Family Foundation comparing and contrasting some of the different reform plans bouncing around. Looks like it could help us all.

Cross-posted at DailyKos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home