Saturday, August 30, 2008

Busy but happy here

Hey all,

I'm busy but happy here. I get up around 7:00 at the latest. Often I'm up earlier doing homework. I walk Bagels, get breakfast and shower before heading uphill for class at 8:00. We have class from 8:00 to 11:00. There are eight or nine of us on any given morn. Our teacher is excellent but she gives us a lot of work. I never put in as much as I should, but I try to make it up on the weekends. So far it takes me from an hour and half to two hours to do the homework proper but I also need to spend a great deal of time previewing and reviewing.

After class I head home and my schedule varies from day to day. Bagels gets another walk. I might do some classwork or might have to change and head directly to work. I'm trying to slide in an environmental philosophy class at another university on Thursdays. They have a visiting prof. from the States and enviro. philosophy was one of my favorite topics back in St. Louis.

I'm reading Callicott's work on "The Land Ethic." It's daring work on a system of ethics that breaks away from most traditional theories. Leopold and Callicott suggest that we need to fundamentally change our basis for ethical consideration. They believe we should extend some level of moral evaluation to the entire ecosystem from top to bottom. It's a fun set of ideas to work with.

I work in the afternoons until the early evenings. My shortest day is 5-7 and my longest is 1:30-7. I have to clock in a half-hour early to do prep. work. I might mind all that time if I didn't know how much it helps my class quality. After work I'm pretty beat but I have to head home and get to work on my Chinese as well as I can. My travel time takes too long, nearly an hour and half each day, but I use it to read and I don't consider it a waste.

Saturday is my hardest day. I have one English class from 10-12 and I have a hard time getting myself to work even though I can't afford not to use my time studying. It's just hard not to take the day off. On Sundays I like to do the Hash House Harrier run. It's beautiful and the people you meet are always interesting. That's enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home